Flourless Carrot Cake
- 230g toasted almonds, unsalted
- 4tbsp light brown muscovado sugar
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1/8tsp salt
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp nutmeg
- 2tsp lemon zest, grated
- 4 eggs
- 65g caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 280g carrots, grated
- Heat the oven to 180°C / Fan 160°C / Gas 4 / 350°F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan, and line it with parchment paper.
- Place the almonds and muscovado sugar into a food processor and blend until finely ground. Add the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest, and mix again.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the eggs until thick. Add the sugar, and continue to beat until the mixture is thick. Add in the vanilla extract, almond mixture, and carrots. Beat gently until combined.
- Transfer the cake batter into the pan and bake for one hour until firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes, before removing it from the pan and allowing the cake to cool completely.
Storage: Once cooled, place the cake in an airtight container where it will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.